The CDC reports that an estimated 88 million adults in the U.S. are prediabetic, close to 1 in 3 people. Why is that? Although family history and a genetic predisposition may lead to type 1 diabetes, a lack of exercise, being overweight, and retaining visceral fat can put you at a higher risk of type 2 diabetes, T2D. Diabetes can lead to heart attack, stroke, blindness, neuropathy, or kidney failure, none of which are things to be grateful for during the Thanksgiving holidays.
The good news is that you can reverse or delay the onset of T2D. How? Simple lifestyle changes! The CDC’s research into diabetes prevention has shown that you can lose 5% to 7% of your body weight by increasing your exercise level and making healthier food choices.
This month, Absolute Best is proud to participate in the Diabetes Prevention Campaign, a massive effort to help people make lifestyle changes to improve their overall health. Here are some examples of simple changes that can lead to improved health:
- Take daily walks! Studies have found that exercising for 150 minutes per week (equivalent to approximately 20 minutes per day) can reduce the chances of diabetes by 58%. And if you’re over 60, that percentage is shown to be 70%.
- Find a coach, personal trainer, or a training buddy to exercise with you. Most everyone agrees that accountability is a proven way to stay on track and consistent with your wellness program.
- Eat whole grains and avoid over refined foods. Whole grains contain fiber, which helps satisfy your hunger, cleanses your digestive tract, and enables you to maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid simple sugars like the ones you find in soft drinks and candy. High sugar levels in your system can cause insulin resistance which overtaxes the body’s pancreas and can lead to kidney damage.
- Read the labels and avoid buying packaged foods with ingredients ending in “ose.” A compound like fructose found in most packaged foods is processed sugar.
- Eat “real food” like fruits and vegetables and less red meat and saturated fats. When the body has high levels of saturated fats, the arteries become clogged, and blood flow becomes restricted.
- Measure your progress. Keep a journal, write what you eat and how much you exercises. Measurable progress is encouraging and helps you stick to your program.
- Spend time in nature and enjoy its wondrous sights and sounds.
- Take time to sit quietly and meditate; if you don’t know how, breathe, and become aware of your breath. That IS meditation.
- Make an appointment with your health care provider and ask for advice, resources, and guidance with your program.
Absolute Best prides itself in being San Pedro’s finest wellness center. Our mission is to help you optimize your health, body, mind, and spirit – all in one convenient location.
Diabetes is a “trifecta” of sorts because it’s a disease that places undue stress on your kidneys and heart. Your kidneys filter the toxins from your blood, which travel through your body via the cardiovascular system, a system of veins, arteries, and capillaries. These toxins can overwork your filtration system causing a domino effect. When something goes wrong in one system, it affects another, then another, and soon, the whole body becomes sick.
That’s why we at Absolute Best Wellness Center believe in a holistic approach to your wellness. Dr. Son Nguyen, D.C., L.A.c of ProCare Health Clinic, a practitioner of acupuncture and chiropractic care, recommends a comprehensive approach to healthcare. He considers the whole system when prescribing a wellness program, which means your state of mind, body, and energy.
Our personal trainers can champion your newfound enthusiasm for a healthy lifestyle through fitness and nutritional guidance. Dr. Nguyen can treat your pain with chiropractic adjustments of the spine, manipulation of the joints and muscles, exercise therapy, and even acupuncture by balancing your energy
Our goal is to guide you through your lifestyle changes by teaching you how to incorporate them into your daily living so you can become the absolute best version of yourself.
Come check us out, https://myabsolutebest.com/
Your best health is our business.